History of the library
Blegen Library is a major research library, which supports the academic programs and the membership of the American School of Classical studies at Athens and at the same time, it functions as a research venue for scholars, students and archaeologists.
Important dates in library’s history:
1888: Foundation of the library. American researchers visiting Greece at the time were consulting books in a single reading room!
1903: Development of a local classification system to serve patrons’ needs by T. W. Heermance (Director of ASCSA).
1959: Construction of the “Davis wing” with two levels funded by the Arthur Vining Davis Foundation.
1973: Naming of the library after the famous Aegean prehistorian and School’s Director Carl W. Blegen.
1982: Renovations in the Main building resulted in the expansion of stack, reading and library office space. A reception area, including a security check, was established while visiting hours were expanded offering the possibility to a larger audience to use library's holdings.
1991: Construction of a four-level wing (still called “New Extension”) partially funded by the United States Agency for International Development, which doubled library’s space.
2017-2019: Reclassification of the collection to the Library of Congress system, implementation of RFID technology for books’ check-out, remodeling of -1 level (ex Archives) in order to increase stacks’ and seating space.