Information for Members

This section is designed to help you prepare for living in Greece, whether you are making a short trip to use the libraries or preparing for the year-long academic program. While much of the information is designed for students, even experienced visitors will find useful information here.

All Members of the School (students and senior scholars alike) who plan to be in Greece for their research should familiarize themselves with the current residence policies.

*New Travel Requirements Starting in 2025*

BE AWARE that starting in mid-2025, most people will need travel authorization to enter most European countries (including Greece). There are 30 European countries that require visa-exempt travelers to have an ETIAS travel authorization (this includes entry into Greece). Also, nationals of about 30 listed countries need to apply for ETIAS travel authorization into the EU.

The process to apply for travel authorization should be relatively quick, as long as you have the correct documents on-hand. The process to apply will cost 7 euros. The system is not yet live.

More information here

Note: Any non-European Union citizen coming to Greece for more than 90 days (including stays in other European countries) will need to apply for a residence permit. This is a three-step process which begins with making application for a visa from the Greek authorities in your home country, ensuring that your passport receives a stamp from the frontier police at your first point of entry into the Schengen zone, and finally applying for the residence permit itself once you arrive in Greece.  For detailed information click here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have questions? 

Staying at the School

Pertinent facts about staying at the School, listed by topic.

Residence Permit Regulations

Questions about a visa and a residence permit?

Insurance Letter

If you are applying for a visa or residence permit, please see more details about the required insurance letter.

Residence Hall

Information about room and board at the School.

Other Links

Information about Archaeological Study Centers/Libraries and Other Foreign Archaeological Schools.