Athenian Agora Excavations - Publications, excavation reports, excavation notebooks, contexts, objects, plans and drawings, and photos from the Agora
Corinth Excavations - Publications, excavation reports, excavation notebooks, contexts, objects, plans and drawings, and photos from Ancient Corinth
Alison Frantz Photos - Images by photographer and archaeologist Alison Frantz (1903-1995) depicting Archaic and Classical sculpture, Greek archaeological sites and various finds. The collection was created between the late 1940’s – early 1970’s.
Dorothy Burr Thompson Photos - Images from Dorothy Burr Thompson (1900–2001), excavator and leading expert in ancient terracottas. The collection covers the period 1923-1955, and includes images from her travels in Greece, Turkey and Italy. In addition to the archaeological information, the collection is a mosaic of information about architecture, landscapes and customs that no longer exist.
Archaeological Photos - Documents the field activities of the American School from its establishment in 1881 until WW II, with valuable and rare images recording restoration of the Erechtheum on the Acropolis in the early 20th c., the identification of the Choregic Monument of Nikias on the South Slope of the Acropolis, the discovery of the Sanctuary of Eros and Aphrodite on the North Slope of the Acropolis in the 1930’s, the excavations at the site of Dionysus in northern Attica, the restoration of the Lion of Amphipolis, and general views of Athens.
Historical Photos - Various photographs from the archives in the Gennadius Library documenting moments of Greek history, from the late 19th to the early 20th century. Photos are collected from the Dragoumis family, the papers of Athanasios Souliotis, Nikolaos Mavris and others, as well as from the papers of author Stratis Myrivilis who fought in the Balkan Wars and the Greek-Turkish War (1919-1922).
Ion Dragoumis Letters - Letters of diplomat and Greek Parliament member Ion St. Dragoumis, covering the period 1895-1920. The Macedonian struggle, the Balkans and the Ottoman Empire, the Greek language and the use of the Demotic, are some of the issues that appear in Dragoumis’ correspondence.
An ornate two story facade located in front of the early basilica flanks the Lechaion Road between the North Shops and the Monumental Gate. The upper story consisted of a row of six larger-than-life-size figures standing against Corinthian piers. The two best preserved pillars represent men in eastern dress wearing Phrygian caps. Two heads of women from the same monument indicate that the males were accompanied by female figures. They may have been personifications of geographical places. The mo…
The shops were built immediately in front of the Northwest stoa later in the 1st century A.D. The large central chamber still preserves its stone vault. It is flanked by seven shops, which originally had concrete vaults, on either side. The original colonnade of 28 Corinthian columns was curtailed to 25 columns when the Captives Façade was constructed.
The Northwest Stoa was once thought to have been a Hellenistic building refurbished in the Roman period. It is now understood to be entirely a Roman monument, built in the time of the emperor Augustus, which closed off the north side of the forum. It is oriented south of west parallel with the south peribolos wall of the Temple of Apollo. At its eastern end the stoa was built over a smaller Hellenistic stoa. The stoa is about 101 m. long and 9 m. wide with an exterior colonnade of 47 Doric colum…
A distinctive feature of the Corinthian landscape, this peninsula projects in to the Corinthian Gulf north of Corinth and the Lechaion Harbor. The Sanctuary of Hera is situated in a small cove on the southern coast of the tip of the peninsula. Activity at the sanctuary began in the 9th century BCE.
The court to the north of Peirene was identified by Pausanias as the “Peribolos of Apollo” in which was an image of the god and a painting depicting Odysseus on his return from Troy expelling his wife, Penelope’s, suitors. The painting may appropriately relate to Peirene as, according to one tradition, Peirene was Penelope’s aunt. The rectangular court, built in the first century A.D. measures approximately 32 m. by 23 m. and was surrounded by a marble Ionic colonnade set on a stylobate of Acroc…
This tetrastyle prostyle Roman temple is flanked by a pi-shaped colonnade within a closed precinct on the road leading from the forum to the theater. Unfortunately Pausanias makes no mention of the building.
Standing 9 meters above the Forum, Temple E occupied as prominent a place in the Roman city as the Temple of Apollo. In its first phase, the temple had stone foundations, probably with a triple crepis measuring 44 x 23.5 meters, on which was constructed a limestone Doric temple with six columns across its facade. The temple enclosure was bounded by a wall to the west and by stoas on the north and south. It is dated to the early 1st century A.D., soon after the death of Augustus. In the late 1st …