Athenian Agora Excavations - Publications, excavation reports, excavation notebooks, contexts, objects, plans and drawings, and photos from the Agora
Corinth Excavations - Publications, excavation reports, excavation notebooks, contexts, objects, plans and drawings, and photos from Ancient Corinth
Alison Frantz Photos - Images by photographer and archaeologist Alison Frantz (1903-1995) depicting Archaic and Classical sculpture, Greek archaeological sites and various finds. The collection was created between the late 1940’s – early 1970’s.
Dorothy Burr Thompson Photos - Images from Dorothy Burr Thompson (1900–2001), excavator and leading expert in ancient terracottas. The collection covers the period 1923-1955, and includes images from her travels in Greece, Turkey and Italy. In addition to the archaeological information, the collection is a mosaic of information about architecture, landscapes and customs that no longer exist.
Archaeological Photos - Documents the field activities of the American School from its establishment in 1881 until WW II, with valuable and rare images recording restoration of the Erechtheum on the Acropolis in the early 20th c., the identification of the Choregic Monument of Nikias on the South Slope of the Acropolis, the discovery of the Sanctuary of Eros and Aphrodite on the North Slope of the Acropolis in the 1930’s, the excavations at the site of Dionysus in northern Attica, the restoration of the Lion of Amphipolis, and general views of Athens.
Historical Photos - Various photographs from the archives in the Gennadius Library documenting moments of Greek history, from the late 19th to the early 20th century. Photos are collected from the Dragoumis family, the papers of Athanasios Souliotis, Nikolaos Mavris and others, as well as from the papers of author Stratis Myrivilis who fought in the Balkan Wars and the Greek-Turkish War (1919-1922).
Ion Dragoumis Letters - Letters of diplomat and Greek Parliament member Ion St. Dragoumis, covering the period 1895-1920. The Macedonian struggle, the Balkans and the Ottoman Empire, the Greek language and the use of the Demotic, are some of the issues that appear in Dragoumis’ correspondence.
|Description||The seven standing columns of the Archaic temple are one of the most prominent landmarks of Corinth. The dedication of the temple to Apollo is deduced from Pausanias’ description of Corinth combined with a small plaque which was dedicated to Apollo and found in the area. Built in the middle of the 6th century B.C. to replace a destroyed 7th century predecessor, the temple is of the Doric order and originally had six columns at each end and fifteen along each side. Indications of its Archaic date include the great length of the temple relative to its width, the large monolithic columns, and the squat, widely flaring capitals. |
Although most of this mid-6th century B.C. building has been destroyed, the bedrock preserves cuttings made to receive the foundation blocks and thus allows a reconstruction of the temple’s plan. The interior of the temple consists of a porch at either end and a long central part (the cella) divided into two rooms by a cross wall. The traditional reconstruction of the plan makes this cross wall a solid wall and provides access to the western room of the cella through the western door. Alternatively, the cross wall may have been pierced by a doorway, in which case the western room could have served as an inner shrine (an adyton). In any case, two rows of columns ran the length of the building within the interior.
From the Archaic period, access to the hilltop was up a monumental staircase at the southeast corner of the hill. The Roman period, however, introduced many changes to the area. Access to the temple was now from the west. This change resulted from building activity on the other three sides of the hill which blocked off the earlier staircase and quarried into the sides of the hill. The Romans also carried out a radical renovation of the temple itself. The interior columns were removed and some of them were set up in a row near the west end of the South Stoa where they are still standing.