Athenian Agora Excavations - Publications, excavation reports, excavation notebooks, contexts, objects, plans and drawings, and photos from the Agora
Corinth Excavations - Publications, excavation reports, excavation notebooks, contexts, objects, plans and drawings, and photos from Ancient Corinth
Alison Frantz Photos - Images by photographer and archaeologist Alison Frantz (1903-1995) depicting Archaic and Classical sculpture, Greek archaeological sites and various finds. The collection was created between the late 1940’s – early 1970’s.
Dorothy Burr Thompson Photos - Images from Dorothy Burr Thompson (1900–2001), excavator and leading expert in ancient terracottas. The collection covers the period 1923-1955, and includes images from her travels in Greece, Turkey and Italy. In addition to the archaeological information, the collection is a mosaic of information about architecture, landscapes and customs that no longer exist.
Archaeological Photos - Documents the field activities of the American School from its establishment in 1881 until WW II, with valuable and rare images recording restoration of the Erechtheum on the Acropolis in the early 20th c., the identification of the Choregic Monument of Nikias on the South Slope of the Acropolis, the discovery of the Sanctuary of Eros and Aphrodite on the North Slope of the Acropolis in the 1930’s, the excavations at the site of Dionysus in northern Attica, the restoration of the Lion of Amphipolis, and general views of Athens.
Historical Photos - Various photographs from the archives in the Gennadius Library documenting moments of Greek history, from the late 19th to the early 20th century. Photos are collected from the Dragoumis family, the papers of Athanasios Souliotis, Nikolaos Mavris and others, as well as from the papers of author Stratis Myrivilis who fought in the Balkan Wars and the Greek-Turkish War (1919-1922).
Ion Dragoumis Letters - Letters of diplomat and Greek Parliament member Ion St. Dragoumis, covering the period 1895-1920. The Macedonian struggle, the Balkans and the Ottoman Empire, the Greek language and the use of the Demotic, are some of the issues that appear in Dragoumis’ correspondence.
|Description||The portico 13 ionic columns which closed the east end of the upper forum served as the entrance to the Southeast building. In its earliest form, probably in the first half 1st century B.C., the building had two suites of three rooms built symmetrically along the axis of a central corridor. It has been suggested that this may have been either an archive building or library.|
The building was partially demolished to make space for the Julian Basilica to the north in the first decade of the 1st century A.D. It was rebuilt on a different plan in the second quarter of the 1st century. A door from the north end of the portico gave admittance to a room divided into three aisles by colonnades each of three columns and two pilasters. At the south end was a transverse room entered from the central aisle. Fragments of an inscription found in and around the building suggest the building was erected by the same Gn. Babbius Philinus who built the Babbius Monument and Fountain of Poseidon at the west end of the forum.