Athenian Agora Excavations - Publications, excavation reports, excavation notebooks, contexts, objects, plans and drawings, and photos from the Agora
Corinth Excavations - Publications, excavation reports, excavation notebooks, contexts, objects, plans and drawings, and photos from Ancient Corinth
Alison Frantz Photos - Images by photographer and archaeologist Alison Frantz (1903-1995) depicting Archaic and Classical sculpture, Greek archaeological sites and various finds. The collection was created between the late 1940’s – early 1970’s.
Dorothy Burr Thompson Photos - Images from Dorothy Burr Thompson (1900–2001), excavator and leading expert in ancient terracottas. The collection covers the period 1923-1955, and includes images from her travels in Greece, Turkey and Italy. In addition to the archaeological information, the collection is a mosaic of information about architecture, landscapes and customs that no longer exist.
Archaeological Photos - Documents the field activities of the American School from its establishment in 1881 until WW II, with valuable and rare images recording restoration of the Erechtheum on the Acropolis in the early 20th c., the identification of the Choregic Monument of Nikias on the South Slope of the Acropolis, the discovery of the Sanctuary of Eros and Aphrodite on the North Slope of the Acropolis in the 1930’s, the excavations at the site of Dionysus in northern Attica, the restoration of the Lion of Amphipolis, and general views of Athens.
Historical Photos - Various photographs from the archives in the Gennadius Library documenting moments of Greek history, from the late 19th to the early 20th century. Photos are collected from the Dragoumis family, the papers of Athanasios Souliotis, Nikolaos Mavris and others, as well as from the papers of author Stratis Myrivilis who fought in the Balkan Wars and the Greek-Turkish War (1919-1922).
Ion Dragoumis Letters - Letters of diplomat and Greek Parliament member Ion St. Dragoumis, covering the period 1895-1920. The Macedonian struggle, the Balkans and the Ottoman Empire, the Greek language and the use of the Demotic, are some of the issues that appear in Dragoumis’ correspondence.
|Description||The Northwest Stoa was once thought to have been a Hellenistic building refurbished in the Roman period. It is now understood to be entirely a Roman monument, built in the time of the emperor Augustus, which closed off the north side of the forum. It is oriented south of west parallel with the south peribolos wall of the Temple of Apollo. At its eastern end the stoa was built over a smaller Hellenistic stoa. The stoa is about 101 m. long and 9 m. wide with an exterior colonnade of 47 Doric columns and an interior colonnade of 20 Ionic columns. The local limestone is used for all the elements. This was finished with a fine coat of lime stucco to mimic marble. Foundations for a staircase at the west end of the building suggest that it was a two storey building. When the Northwest Shops were built immediately in front of the stoa its use continued, perhaps a warehouse.|