Athenian Agora Excavations - Publications, excavation reports, excavation notebooks, contexts, objects, plans and drawings, and photos from the Agora
Corinth Excavations - Publications, excavation reports, excavation notebooks, contexts, objects, plans and drawings, and photos from Ancient Corinth
Alison Frantz Photos - Images by photographer and archaeologist Alison Frantz (1903-1995) depicting Archaic and Classical sculpture, Greek archaeological sites and various finds. The collection was created between the late 1940’s – early 1970’s.
Dorothy Burr Thompson Photos - Images from Dorothy Burr Thompson (1900–2001), excavator and leading expert in ancient terracottas. The collection covers the period 1923-1955, and includes images from her travels in Greece, Turkey and Italy. In addition to the archaeological information, the collection is a mosaic of information about architecture, landscapes and customs that no longer exist.
Archaeological Photos - Documents the field activities of the American School from its establishment in 1881 until WW II, with valuable and rare images recording restoration of the Erechtheum on the Acropolis in the early 20th c., the identification of the Choregic Monument of Nikias on the South Slope of the Acropolis, the discovery of the Sanctuary of Eros and Aphrodite on the North Slope of the Acropolis in the 1930’s, the excavations at the site of Dionysus in northern Attica, the restoration of the Lion of Amphipolis, and general views of Athens.
Historical Photos - Various photographs from the archives in the Gennadius Library documenting moments of Greek history, from the late 19th to the early 20th century. Photos are collected from the Dragoumis family, the papers of Athanasios Souliotis, Nikolaos Mavris and others, as well as from the papers of author Stratis Myrivilis who fought in the Balkan Wars and the Greek-Turkish War (1919-1922).
Ion Dragoumis Letters - Letters of diplomat and Greek Parliament member Ion St. Dragoumis, covering the period 1895-1920. The Macedonian struggle, the Balkans and the Ottoman Empire, the Greek language and the use of the Demotic, are some of the issues that appear in Dragoumis’ correspondence.
|Description||At the east end of the Central Shops, immediately to the south of the apheteria (starting lines) of the Classical and Hellenistic stadia (running tracks), the original Circular Monument may date to the Classical period. The preserved structure is Roman. In its earliest Roman phase it consisted of a raised circular platform, 2 meters high and 9 meters in diameter, supporting a limestone column drum 2.15 meters in diameter. The platform was subsequently trimmed back on its north and west sides for the application of marble revetment. When the Central Shops were constructed, the west side was also cut back to accommodate the easternmost shop. Oscar Broneer, who believed the original column was much taller, suggested this monument was the one depicted on Corinthian coins of the Antonine and Severan periods. |
The Circular monument was excavated in 1892 and 1896 but is actually one of the earliest monuments at Corinth to have been recorded. A second, upper, member of the column was drawn by Sebastian Ittar, architect to Lord Elgin, on a visit to Corinth in 1802. On the basis of this evidence, William Dinsmoor restored a much shorter column and dissociated the monument from that shown on the coins.