Ancient Corinth is located in the northeast corner of the Peloponnese at the head of the Gulf of Corinth. The site was referred to in antiquity as one of the fetters of Greece, guarding as it did the narrow land bridge that connects the Peloponnese with the Greek mainland, and providing access to both the Gulf of Corinth to the north and the Saronic Gulf to the east. This strategic position was one of the keys to its prosperity, especially as a Roman city.
Excavations by the American School of Classical Studies at Athens began in 1896 and have continued with little interruption until today. Restricted by the modern village of Old Corinth, which directly overlies the ancient city, the main focus of School investigations has been on the area surrounding the mid-6th century B.C. Temple of Apollo. This dominating monument has been one of the only features of the site visible since antiquity.
The School’s investigations have revealed remains extending from the Early Neolithic period (6500-5750 B.C.) until today. Archaeological work has also been done outside the immediate area of the village center including at the Sanctuary of Demeter and Kore on the slopes of Acrocorinth, in the Potters Quarter, at the sites of the Sanctuary of Asklepios and the Kenchreian Gate Basilica. Current investigations focus on the area of the Panayia Field, located to the southeast of the Forum. School excavations and projects affiliated to the ASCSA have also intensively explored the wider area of the Corinthia including the surrounding settlements of Korakou, Kenchreai and Isthmia.
Records and material deriving from many of these excavations, excepting Kenchreai and Isthmia, including coins, ceramics, minor objects and environmental materials, are stored in the facilities of Corinth Museum. The results have been published in the Corinth monograph series, and in articles principally to be found in Hesperia and the American Journal of Archaeology.