The American School of Classical Studies at Athens
  • Ask an Archaeologist
  • From the Field Corinth Excavations Director Guy D. R. Sanders and Assistant Director Ioulia Tzonou-Herbst answered questions submitted from viewers all over the world--live from the Corinth Museum.
  • Read More

Residence Permit Regulations, Visas, and Insurance Requirements

Residence Permit Background

Visa Information

Residence Permit Renewals


Who needs a Residence Permit?

U.S. and Canadian citizens are admitted into Greece and/or any other of the member states of the Schengen group for a period of 90 days without a visa.  However, anyone whose stay involves spending more than 90 days within the Schengen Zone during any given six-month period must obtain a visa BEFORE entering any of the relevant countries. The six-month clock starts ticking the moment that one arrives in any one of the Schengen-pact countries and continues until the end of the six-month period.  Leaving the Schengen Zone does not re-set the clock.  For example, a stay of two months in Athens (Schengen), followed by two months in İstanbul (non-Schengen), followed by two months in Rome (Schengen, again) puts one over the 90-days-in-six-months limit and would necessitate obtaining a visa before one’s first entry, even though neither of the two periods of time spent within the Schengen area exceeded the 90-day limit.

What countries are in the Schengen Zone? The Schengen Zone now includes the following 26 countries: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

Note about European Union Citizens
A visa and a residence permit are NOT required for EU nationals. EU law, however, mandates that non-Greek EU nationals must register at the local Aliens Bureau (e.g., at a police station) if they intend to remain in Greece for more than 90 days. Pantelis Paschos will assist any members in this process; the procedure is free of charge and individuals will receive a certificate of registration (residence certificate). Non-Greek EU citizens residing in Greece for longer than 90 days could be fined if they do not register. (Non EU Citizen) spouses of members who are in fact EU Citizen do not need a visa and residence permit--but they can register with their EU-Citizenship-holding spouses upon arrival in Athens; they will need proof of their marriage, which has been authenticated by an "Apostille" (Convention de La Haye du 5 octobre 1961), which can be obtained from your state's Secretary of State's office and from officers of Federal District Courts, before traveling to Greece. For those members with spouses, please contact the Assistant Director directly to confirm the details of this process.


Applying for the Relevant Visa

The formalities involved in this process are set forth in a special Law (#4251) of 1 April, 2014.  This has clarified the residence situation for Members of the School.  According to this law, members of the foreign archaeological schools are specifically covered under article 17.  Reference to these paragraphs should be made at the time of application for the visa.  Tell the consular official that you are applying for a visa as a Member of a Foreign Archaeological School as set forth in article 17 of Law 4251/2014.

For contact information for the Greek consulate for your area, click here.

A foreigner who wishes to come into Greece as a member of a foreign archaeological school must provide a Greek consulate in the country where the applicant is a citizen with the following documents:

a. a passport or other travel document recognized by the Greek state,
b. certification that he/she has been appointed a member of a foreign archaeological school,
c. proof of sufficient funds to cover his/her living expenses,
d. a statement which shows that the applicant has obtained housing,
e. a health certificate declaring that the applicant does not suffer from infectious/ communicable diseases. A template, provided by the Visa Section of the Hellenic Republic can be found here,
f. a certificate of insurance covering medical and pharmaceutical expenses, hospitalization, and medical evacuation/repatriation. Click here for current insurance requirements, and
g. a police report (clearance) from one’s country of residence.  Most Greek consulates in the States request a FBI Identity History Summary Check. These clearances are taking increasingly long periods of time to process, and therefore one should begin this process (being fingerprinted and submitting the fingerprints to the FBI) as soon as possible. You may wish to refer to “FBI-Approved Channelers” to expedite background checks that has been recently announced on the FBI website. The consulate should accept the FBI-approved channeler service but check first with the regional Greek consulate office to make sure it is acceptable.

For the certifications required on paragraphs (b) and (d) above, please contact .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

N.B. An Encyclical (3497.3/19/A.S. 1057 of 26 April 2006) issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (C4 Directorate for Justice, Home Affairs and Schengen) for the use of consular authorities charged with issuing these entry visas has slightly modified the list previously in effect. In particular, item “f” above now specifically calls for “travel insurance which covers any expenses necessary for repatriation of the applicant for medical emergencies.”

Acquiring the relevant documentation and the actual visa application process take a certain amount of time, and the whole process involves the payment of something like US$150 in fees.  Some consulates also require an interview and an actual visit to the consulate to present the documentation and pay the fee.

Members can download a sample Greek visa, in order to see the elements required for the residence permit, including the Type of Visa ("D"), Number of Entries ("Multiple"), and Remarks ("Member of a Foreign Archaeological School/ΜΕΛΗ ΞΕΝΩΝ ΑΡΧΑΙΛΟΓΙΚΩΝ ΣΧΟΛΩΝ").



We have been advised that for Members who will be coming to Athens with their families, only the Member and his/her spouse and any children 14 years of age or older need visas. Children under the age of 14 can be granted residence permits on the basis of their parents’ residence permits, but will need to produce documentary evidence of their immunization history.  However, families should be forewarned that they will need to bring along copies of both their marriage license and their children’s birth certificates. All these documents need to be authenticated by an “Apostille” (Convention de La Haye du 5 octobre 1961). This certificate may be obtained from your state’s Secretary of State’s office and from officers of Federal District Courts.

N.B. The visa itself will be pasted into your passport.  New European legislation within the Schengen zone

Arrival in the Schengen zone

Application for the Residence Permit itself.

Upon arrival in Greece, the documentation which one needs to present for the residence permit application consists of:

a. Passport with the relevant visa.

b. Insurance: a brief letter on insurance company letterhead (NOT from a University or travel agent) certifying that the holder is covered for outpatient medical expenses, hospitalization, and medical evacuation/repatriation for the duration of his/her stay in Greece (Click here for current insurance requirements), which will subsequently be translated into Greek, and

c. five passport-sized photographs, and

d. a fee (during the 2015-2016 Academic Year, the fee was 190€, which included the translation of the Insurance Letter).


Nota bene:

Holders of passports issued by member states of the European Union (and their spouses) do not need these visas to get a residence permit.  Spouses, however, need to have proof of their marriage - certified by an attached “Apostille” (Convention de La Haye du 5 octobre 1961).  (see above.)

Once a residence permit has been issued (or applied for), any change in the holder’s (applicant’s) status (new passport, marriage to a citizen of a European Union member state, change of address, birth of children, etc.) must be reported to the authorities within the space of one month.

It is the responsibility of the residence permit holder to contact Pandelis Paschos, the School’s Administrative Assistant within 20 days of any such change so that the proper documents can be filed.  Failure to comply with this regulation will result in a fine of 250 euros.

American or Canadian citizens do not need a visa if their stay in Greece (and any other Schengen pact country or combination of countries) is for a period of 90 days or less within any given six-month period.


Submitting and Picking Up the Residence Permit (for initial applications and renewals)

When submitting the residence permit application in Athens, a member, accompanied by Pantelis Paschos, must hand deliver the paperwork at the appropriate Greek Ministry. Once the residence permit is ready to be issued and pasted into your passport (which can be from several weeks to several months after the application), the member must either: 1) return to the Ministry with Pantelis Paschos; or 2) visit a local police station to authorize Pantelis Paschos to retrieve the residence permit on your behalf.

After a member has applied for a residence permit, if he or she chooses to travel outside of the borders of Greece, especially outside of the Schengen Zone, he or she is advised to travel with their βεβαίωση. The βεβαίωση is a document that confirms that one has applied for the residence permit--and will be surrendered when the permit is affixed into one's visa. In lieu of the actual valid residence permit, the βεβαίωση acts as proof of the application process for border authorities. One can obtain their βεβαίωση from Pantelis Paschos.


Residence Permit Renewals

Residence permits are typically valid for one year, and they must be renewed if a member remains in Greece beyond the expiration date on a permit. Please notify Pandelis Paschos two and a half months prior to the permit’s expiration if you wish to renew your residence permit. The fee for a one year renewal is currently 150€. For an additional 50€ fee, applications may be submitted after the aforementioned two month period and up to one month following a permit’s expiration.  Please see Article 11 and 92 of Law 3386/2005 for more details.


Late Updated: 4 May 2016.